Endives Make Any Salad Complete, Especially with Beets!
I decided to pick up some Endives at the grocery store last week because they just look so cute... and I fell hopelessly in love with the little bitter Belgian babies. I made the salad above about a week ago, but have since made the same one everyday, even though I'm lactose intolerant and the recipe calls for blue cheese (I should have bought stocks in Lactaid years ago).
Here is the recipe for my Endive and Beets Sunshine Salad:
- 2 medium sized beets (boiled, peeled and diced)
- 2 Belgian endives (rinsed and separated)
- 2 ounces fresh, blue cheese (crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Dressing - Mix the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of sea salt
- a dash of freshly ground pepper
Lay out the endives, scoop some sliced almonds into each leaf and then add the diced beets. Lightly drizzle some dressing on top before crumbling the blue cheese on top.
I really love the way the bitterness of the endives mixes with the sweetness of the beets. The blue cheese and dressing then adds some depth and tartness while the almonds give it a nice crunch.
I added some antipasto to the middle of my endive sunshine looking spread. You can choose to put more endives or just beets.